"So what's it gonna take? Silver shadow believer..." -Shiny Toy Guns

Monday, October 29, 2007

Pumpkin Art, Just For You Pumpkin!

Last week while in Copperfields Books, I glanced through their Halloween table, where many books for the big and small relating to the holiday were placed. I came across Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, By Alvin Schwartz and laughed to myself as they were some of my favorite books in junior high. In the front, on a stand was a book by Tom Nardone, called Extreme Pumpkins. Tom is a guy who designs crazy pumpkin carvings and publishes them on his website: http://www.extremepumpkins.com/
The interesting part about all this is that I wrote about him while in college. I contacted him last year while writing a story for The Star on the art of pumpkin carving, I entitled it, "Bibbity, Bobbity, Boo! What Will Your Pumpkin Do?" I was proud of this particular piece- I really liked how it turned out; in re-reading it I remembered that I had written about the traffic slowing on 101 because of Petaluma's pumpkin patch. Which is still a real pisser; you live in an agricultural community people- it's not the first field you have seen with corn and hay?
In any case, I found it quite coincidental I would come across his book almost one year to the day following my article. He was very nice guy and I feel special that I got a chance to interview him; especially, now that he is an author. According to the website he wrote the book in early 2007. Congratulations to Tom. If you are carving this year you should check out his stuff.

No comments: