"So what's it gonna take? Silver shadow believer..." -Shiny Toy Guns

Friday, May 16, 2008

What's in the cage?

I live in a small town, with little going on. It's growing, but is still pretty dinky. I've lived here long enough to get to know the norms; the permanent fixtures of this place. More than likely, it takes approximately 10-15 minutes to get across town (with no traffic), your cell phone won't work on Bodega Ave. once you get over the hill, there are five 7-11's (which is a lot for a town this size), it smells like cow plop from time to time, it is a rare occurrence when you don't need a sweatshirt at night (no matter the season), and you will run into the mystery walker at least once.
It's hard to wonder about much here, when everything is so simple. Yet, I do. There is a man who walks up and down McDowell- only on McDowell. He is always dressed the same, white shorts, Adidas jacket, sunglasses, carrying what looks like a cat cage in one hand, and a duffel bag in the other. He's clean cut and for the most part looks sane. But, what is his story? Where is he going? And what's in that cage?
I always said that if I became a journalist, I would want to interview him. There are many theories behind this mystery walker. I've heard that he's homeless, he's crazy, that he's a cat lover, that it's not even a cat in there- it's a bird, and so on. You name it- every one's got their ideas about him. I just want to ask, "what's in the cage, dude? Where did you get that Adidas vintage classic? And do your legs ever get cold in those shorts?" One of these days, I hope to pull over when I see him walking down McDowell and simply say, "Excuse me sir, but I have some questions and so does the rest of this nosey ass town." See how I did that? I am interested, the town- nosey. Well if curiosity killed the cat, jumping out of my car and interrogating someone probably isn't the greatest idea I've ever had. Speaking of cats, what's in that damn cage?

No comments: