"So what's it gonna take? Silver shadow believer..." -Shiny Toy Guns

Monday, March 23, 2009

Pay to Pray

There is a theory that says that the Internet will eventually wipe out our existence. That we have developed what will be the ultimate cause of our demise. As much as I believe there is some truth to this, I love the Internet. Absolutely, positively couldn’t live without it. Not in a million years or for a million dollars. There is only one thing that interests me more than this little devil and that is the beauty of human connection. Simply put: people, communication, human compassion and belief – there is nothing more concrete, nothing more pure and nothing more real.
So in my most humble opinion as amazing as the Internet may be, this tool we created to assist us, will never completely replace us. But, will continue to do what it was designed for: make life easier. Some argue it makes us lazy, I say productive. Some say it overtook jobs, I say it created some. The argument leads me neatly to my reason for this post. I came across an article on one of my favorite blogs, TechCrunch, about a new site that prays for you. That’s right, if you don’t have time to pray this site will take care of it for you. Now, I am all about the advancements of technology and preying on the ignorant. But, I just am not sure how this site would work? In 2007, I wrote a post on the Power of Prayer vs. Positive Thinking, explaining that there really is no difference between the two. But a website that prays for you? How? Maybe it works the same. You believe they are praying for you and so it will work.
Prayer is kind of a sacred thing though, is it not? I mean that connection you feel to a higher power or positive thoughts going on within are pretty heavy duty to in trust to a website. Not to mention the things you usually pray for are for the well being of your loved ones. In my mind, that’s part of what gives it power, your compassion for someone else or even for yourself would enable you to manifest it. But, maybe that’s just me. And much like an email has replaced a handwritten letter, this could be next. I can’t wait to send this little dilly off to my Aunt who is a nun to catch her thoughts.
No matter how you slice it; it’s pretty hilarious: http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/03/17/too-busy-to-pray-dont-worry-indulgences-are-back/

No comments: